Deborah joined Peer, Gan & Gisler, LLP, as a Senior Associate. She brings her extensive trial and arbitration experience to her current practice, which focuses on the representation of labor organizations in various matters including arbitration and contract negotiations. Deborah also represents clergy and other individuals with negotiating and enforcing employment, separation, and retirement agreements.
After graduating from New York University School of Law, Deborah served as an Assistant Public Defender with the Miami-Dade Public Defender’s Office for nearly fifteen years. As an Assistant Public Defender, Deborah handled all levels of client representation and trial work from misdemeanor cases to felonies punishable by life, including murder. She trained and mentored new attorneys as a training attorney in the Juvenile Division and did extensive work in the representation of juveniles charged as adults with serious crimes.
In 2019, Deborah returned to the Chicagoland area where she represented clients in various civil litigation matters including family law and guardianship, domestic violence, housing and landlord/tenant law, consumer matters, and contract interpretation with Catholic Charities Legal Assistance Department. Deborah provided extensive advice for clients throughout Illinois as well as representing clients in litigation matters in courts throughout Cook and Lake Counties. She also provided educational seminars on various legal topics. Prior to moving to DC, Deborah was a legal assistant for a labor and employment arbitrator focusing on all aspects of the arbitration process.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2004
- McDaniel College, M.S. Ed., Curriculum and Instruction, 1999
- University of Illinois B.S. Psychology and Spanish, 1997
State Bar Admissions
- Legal Assistant, Arbitrator Margo R. Newman, Chicago, IL, 2022-2023
- Staff Attorney II, Catholic Charities Legal Assistance Department, Chicago, IL, 2019-2022
- Assistant Public Defender, Law Offices of the Public Defender, 11th Judicial Circuit, Miami, FL, 2004-2019